Six Things to Do before Your Next Outpatient Procedure
Last updated 7/24/2020 at 5:14pm | View PDF
To ensure a successful outpatient procedure and smooth recovery:
• Check qualifications. Before you schedule a procedure, be sure your anesthesia care will be led by a physician anesthesiologist, and that the other physicians and providers involved in your outpatient procedure are qualified.
• Stop smoking. The healthier you are, the faster you recover.
• Learn about your anesthesia options. Before your procedure, talk with your physician anesthesiologist about some of the newer techniques.
• Ask what you can eat and drink, and how long before surgery you need to stop.
• Remove permanent jewelry. Surgeons use electrical tools during procedures, including to make incisions, putting you at risk for burns if you are wearing jewelry.
• Don't go alone. Be sure someone is available to drive you home from the outpatient facility.