Travel, Leisure & Fun for South Valley Adults

Military Service Records

Do you need a copy of your official Military Service Records? Many service members don’t realize the importance of the documents provided upon separation from service, but as many members eventually find out, there may come a time when you will need it.

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) keeps all of the official military records. Upon your separation from service, your last command will forward your military file to NPRC, which will get archived. You can request your records at (which is faster) or order them through the mail by completing an SF-180 form and mailing it back to NPRC. If you need help requesting Military Records, please call us. We can also help deceased veterans’ family members obtain necessary records. You may have heard about the fire at the NPRC facility in 1973. Although some records were damaged, not all were totally lost.

Records NOT held at NPRC include:

• Department of Veterans Affairs records

• Pay records

• Records of veterans who separated from active service but are in active or inactive reserve status

• Records of current members of the National Guard

• Records of National Guard members recently discharged

• Selective service records

• Active duty health records (depending when the veteran separated from service)

If you need a copy of your military service records, we can help you request them.

Ken Cruickshank, the Veterans Services Officer for Tulare County, is a retired Navy Master Chief Petty Officer. Contact him at the Veterans Services Office at 3350 W. Mineral King Ave., Visalia; by phone at (559) 713-2880; or by email at


Reader Comments(0)

Rendered 07/09/2024 07:18